SOME VITAL SVORD TIPS
- Never wash this knife in a dishwasher.
- Never leave this knife wet or in water at any time or the knife will tarnish.
- Always cut on a chopping board and not directly on a stainless steel bench top.
- To wash your knife, run it under boiling hot water as this imparts a blue-ish tinge to the steel.
- To sharpen your knife we recommend abrasive sharpeners such as a diamond steel or a stone, traditional oil stone, India stone or Arkansas stone - never use a Butcher's steel as it is designed to align the edge on soft steel knives.
- Store your knife in a knife block or in a drawer separate from other cutlery to avoid it being damaged.
- Some of the knives have rare exotic woods as handles - occasionally you should polish with furniture oil or boiled linseed oil.
- If your knife tarnishes use a green scotchbrite ( Artificial plastic steel wool ) pad to clean
The craftsman's method of sharpening Svord™ knives.
- Precision knife sharpening is a delicate operation; easy after practice, but to obtain first-class results with your Svord™ knife the following procedure should be observed.
- Take the knife in your usual working hand, lay it at an angle of 10-20 degrees to the stone, using the fingers on your free hand to apply mild pressure to the blade.
- Draw the knife across the stone as if slicing from the shaft to the point. Turn the knife over and treat the other side in the same manner. Between 10 and 15 strokes to both sides of the blade should produce a very sharp durable edge, provided that the correct angle and even finger pressure on the blade is maintained throughout the operation. Test for sharpness by slicing a newspaper sheet - the cut should be easy and no catching or ripping should occur. Look at the edge of the blade under a bright light. Dull edges will be visible and shiny. If the tests fail - back to the stone!
- Knife sharpening is an art, and it pays to practice on some cheap cutlery before carrying out work on your Svord™ knife.
- Once you have mastered the method, you will find that your Svord™ knife will hold an amazing edge, and you will have an utterly dependable implement which will serve you faithfully for a lifetime.